In a recent survey by the American Chiropractic Association more than three quarters of people (77%) said that they either currently suffer from back pain, or have done in the past. Just under a quarter (24%) said that they suffer back pain every day.
What is surprising is that most of those surveyed did not complain about sports injuries, but said that they suffered pain from sitting or sleeping. In fact, 43% cited sleeping as causing a problem, while 44% suffered pain from sitting.
This may be part of the modern way of living, since no less than 82% of people in the survey said that they spend up to six hours a day in front of a computer screen, and 19% watch television for more than four hours every day. 33% said that they spend between two hours and six hours hunched over a tablet or a laptop.
73% of people spend more than six hours sleeping, while 49% spend up to four hours watching a film or television.
All of this can put a tremendous strain on the back and neck, which leads to pain.
Accident and Injury Chiropractor is urging people to consider their posture more in order to reduce the amount of back and neck pain suffered. As a nation, America is becoming more and more sedentary simply because of the modern style of life. People are not thinking about posture, and are not taking as much exercise as they once did. Many jobs require people to be sitting in front of a computer screen for eight hours a day, or more.
It is also recommended to seek the services of a San Antonio chiropractor at the first signs of back pain, in order to avoid worse back and neck problems later on.
Top tips for avoiding back and neck problems include the following:
● Always sit up straight in front of the laptop, keeping your arms close to your body, and supported on arm rests if possible. The top of the screen should be level with your eyebrows. Have the chair tilted forward slightly; this makes your knees lower than your hips and enables you to keep your feet flat on the floor. Sit into the back of the chair and keep your back as straight as possible.
● Try not to spend too much time with your laptop on your knees, especially if you have been staring at a computer screen all day long.
● Every 30 minutes, get up and move around. Stretch arms and flex your fingers. Shrug your shoulders to keep muscles relaxed.
● When sleeping, lie on your side rather than lying on your back or front with your head twisted to one side.
● When buying a new bed or mattress, ensure that you test it out by lying on it in the store. You should buy a new bed or mattress every ten years, regardless of how good your existing one looks.
● Take regular exercise in order to strengthen muscles.
If you do start to suffer from back and neck pain you should see an auto injury chiropractor without delay. Too many people put off visiting a San Antonio Chiropractor, and suffer pain unnecessarily as a result.